True Haiti Relief

|

Ever since the earthquake in Haiti happened on January 12th 2010 I have seen the true goodness within everyone. From endless events to raise money, to corporations & celebrities donating their ill gotten gains to just regular people I encounter wishing upon me & my family their blessings. It just makes you feel good to know you are in so many peoples prayers.

But that said I still feel bad for my people. To not knowing if those donated funds are going to get to people that most deserve them (lets be serious the Haitian government is not the most trustworthy, you think the politicians here are terrible...) to thinking even when they rebuild another disaster will come through and sweep us away again. They have suffered so much from multiple disastrous storms to a 7.0 quake right into a 6.0 & numerous aftershocks.

With all that said comes a story that shows true leadership & an offer that can not be matched by any other country. Senegal's President Abdoulaye Wade called for Africa to make room for victims of Haiti's earthquake to restart their lives on the continent. Truer statements could never be said:

"The repeated calamities that befall Haiti prompt me to propose a radical solution -- to take measures to create somewhere in Africa... the conditions for Haitians to return."

"They did not choose to go to that island," (
referring to the mass deportation of African slaves to Haiti, then a French colony, from the 16th century.)

"It is our duty to recognise their right to come back to the land of their ancestors."


This offer amazingly is not the 1st of its kind. Back in the 19th Century the African state of Liberia was created by freed U.S. slaves. In 1847, 25 years after the first successful colonisation, they proclaimed an independent Republic, which they named Liberia.

I believe this offer should be taken seriously as well as moved along as a responsible measure. I have yet to visit the nation of Haiti but I feel very drawn to it & I cant help but feel that it may be cursed. Of all the nations in the Caribbean it seems to be hit with disaster after disaster & to have family there and know at any moment they ca all be washed away it puts a hole in your heart. I see the worry in my mothers face, I feel the pain in my friends hearts & something must be done.

If standards aren't changed in Haiti, from government to construction to jobs to social divide, Haiti will be no more & all the donations & heartfelt offers like those from the Senegal President will all be for naught. Haiti is beloved by the my Haitian people but who will love us enough to truly help...

1 comments:

DolceDivaDame said...

I'm glad that I can stay informed about what's going on with Haiti by something other than network news. I can no longer look at the pics that capture the devastation amongst the land and its people. Thanks for providing the background on Liberia. Now I know how it got its name. I ,too, have the same concerns about the donations that are being sent to Haiti. I pray that the people in charge resist giving into temptation of theft and give those in need ALL the help they truly deserve. The president of Senegal's call for Africa to make room for Haiti is a blessing that should not be ignored. This was a good read.